Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Week 1: My Passion

The Genius project asked me about my passion. It was one of the easier questions for me (which is rare) because there is only one time my lazy body works harder than ever: when I'm practicing Kumdo. Before I get in any deeper into this topic, I bet half of you are wondering how to pronounce that word, so I will make it clear that it is pronounced as "come-doe"
Kendo is a Japanese martial art of swordsmanship, and Kumdo is the same thing except Korean. If one has not been properly trained on how to fight with swords, it is hard for them to realize how difficult the sport might be. A friend of mine asked me "Why can't you just swing the sword like a baseball bat and hit the other guy?"


There is a clear difference between being a thug, and a swordsman in Kumdo. Precise control of the sword, efficient and quick footwork, mentality, and concise trajectory of the sword is what differentiates thugs fighting with sticks and a swordsman fighting with a sword. 

I have planned to polish the quality of my Kumdo skills by practicing the Chosunsaebub, the traditional Korean swordsmanship. This will help my ability to effectively control the space between myself and my opponent, have a more proper form for my strikes, and get better control of my sword. My master at Yong Kum Kwan (the place I train) will train and assess me through the process, helping me measure my progress throughout the project. By the end, I will be able to perform the Chosunsaebub on my own in a smooth and accurate fashion. 



9 comments:

  1. I think that it's pretty cool that you decided to go along with the kumdo idea. I look forward to being able to see your progress through this, since I love kumdo as well. How exactly do you intend to train your form? From what I remember, the training at the dojang entails mostly precision and combat. The form, in theory, should come naturally in both processes but it is kind of hard, considering there is a lot going on in your mind during training and sparring. Regardless of that, I think you'll be able to make it just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small details of movements make great differences in the smoothness of the form. In order to get those specific movements executed naturally, countless practice is key. Although it might get boring, I must repeat the same movements again and again in order to get the correct form. The difference between sparring and form is that in practicing form, I am able to get used to an actual steel sword, which is harder to control than the bamboo sword. This helps in getting better control of the sword and using it in battle much more efficiently.

      Delete
  2. I love your topic! Your initiative and confidence to further a skill that you have prior experience with is impressive. I would recommend changing something up from your original training. Maybe work on something different within the scope of Kumdo that you haven't before. You could also hone your skills and provide a before and after, such as a match before this training, and a match after. Other than that, your blog looks great, and good luck in your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually doing the before and after comparison, except that I am not training through sparring but form. Sparring is when we fight against each other with armors on, whereas practicing form is with a real sword, but not actually fighting someone with it. This is my first time practicing form with a real sword, so I am trying something new and different!

      Delete
  3. This is a really unique topic. What got you interested into Kendo and Kumdo? Also, what metric do you plan on measuring your progress by? I think that this is a really interesting way to explore a culture, and quite unique as well. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, my mom was the one who made me start Kumdo although I did not have great interest in it. Today, I thank her for making the best decision in my life. I love the sport and it is a great part of my life. As on how I will measure my progress, my master will be constantly assessing my form and giving me advice as I practice.

      Delete
  4. For as long as I have known you, I never knew that you were so interested in Kumdo until this year. Maybe it was because you never told me or maybe it was because I had never heard of the sport before, but nonetheless I am incredibly interested in this project. However, my lack of knowledge has left me with various questions. How is kumdo similar to other sword arts like fencing? Will your vlog consist of a kumdo practice? Do you plan to interview your master at Yong Kum Kwan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say Kumdo/Kendo is very similar to fencing, as in both sports a difference of a split second can determine which side strikes the other first. Hopefully I will be able to film a vlog of a sparring or a match in Kumdo, although I am not entirely sure if I will be able to do that. And yes, I will most likly interview my master.

      Delete