Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Week 4: 坦腹,豹頭,左夾

Welcome back! I've got some good news and bad news. The good news is that I've gotten through half of Chosun Saebub. Yay. The bad news is that I've gotten through half of Chosun Saebub. Wait, what.


The thing is that the more and more I learn, the more I'm getting confused and mixed up with different movements. For example, the 1st and 5th movements are very similar, and naturally those two are my least favorite.  Aren't you very excited.Sorry. Anyways, let's stop wasting your precious time and just jump right into the 4th, 5th, and 6th movements. 

P.S. There is always some educational value to everything, and for this project it seems like I will be learning at least 24 Chinese characters by the end of the month! (yay me) 

4.  坦腹 (Tan-bok)

 坦(Tan) means flat, and 腹(bok) is the abdomen. Combing these two characters together, the meaning is "Stabbing the opponent's abdomen at a flat level" Well, the meaning of the title of the movement is simply stabbing, but actually, after you stab your the abdomen you must slay it right after. When stabbing, the sword is slightly rotated to the left 45 degrees. Right after, raising the sword at the same angle it stabbed, you advance forward to slay the same part again. This is how it looks like. 






5. 豹頭 (Pyo-du)

豹(Pyo) means a leopard, and 頭(du) means head. Honestly, I have no clue what a leopard has to do with this movement, but that is what it means according to research. I might guess that this movement must be performed as fast(?) and fierce(?) as a leopard...? I tried. Anyways, this movement is very similar to the 1st movement, 擧鼎(Kuh-Jung), in a sense that it starts off by raising up and striking down the sword in big motion. The difference is that 豹頭 (Pyo-du) starts off with the right foot, and the sword stops at the level of the opponents knees, whereas Kuh-Jung stops at the level of the chest. After striking the sword on the opponent's head and splitting it in half (literally), you raise up the sword to your opponent's eye level, and come back to Jung-dan(holding up the sword at the level of my abdomen, and the end of the sword pointing to the opponents throat). If you did not understand many of that, it's fine. It's better to watch once than to listen a 100 times. 




6.  左夾 (Juah-hyub)

左(Juah) means left, and 夾(hyub) means to put on. Thus 左夾 (Juah-hyub) means to put the sword on the left waist. 

INTERESTING FACT:脇 is a word that means left waist...and it is read as "hyub"... hmm, I wonder what else is read as hyub? That's right, 夾(hyub) of 左夾 (Juah-hyub) sounds the same!!! Cough, tonal language, cough cough. (S/O Nina Zhang). So honestly, 左 脇 can mean the same meaning as 左夾 because both means "to put the sword on the left waist"

Alright, let's get back on track. Basically, this movement starts off by drawing the sword at putting it on the left waist, and stabbing the opponents abdomen. Then, the left foot advances N45W degrees, the sword rotating the same direction simultaneously, and slaying the opponent. Again, it's better to watch me than to listen to me. 



Final Product:  坦腹,豹頭,左夾



That was another productive week! Next week sometime I will be introducing Yong Kum Kwan, and my master! See ya.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you...you're learning a tonal language! Or starting to, anyway. That'll certainly help your Superior Temporal Gyrus.
    This all looks really cool, and I might be slightly more scared of you now because you can literally stab me?? Your videos are great, and really help your readers understand a lot more about your progress. I can't wait to see what else you'll be learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all these videos are so cool! @nina he could probably always kill any of us but kept it on the down-low

    Anyways, your blog is so great! You go into depth on the different little parts of the sport (otherwise the rest of us would be thinking sword??? swoosh?? yes??? the entire time). It looks like you're making a lot of progress, so nice job! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete